University of Jamestown Percussion Auditions
1. A solo or etude in either rudimental or concert style, such as from Portraits in Rhythm by Anthony Cirone, 14 Modern Contest Solos by John S. Pratt, Douze Études by Jacques Delecluse
1. Demonstration of four major and four natural minor scales, two octaves
2. A standard work or study to demonstrate musicianship: a solo such as Tambourine Chinois by Fritz Kreisler, Etude in D Minor by Alice Gomez, Yellow After the Rain by Mitchell Peters, or an etude or exercise from a method book such as Modern School for Xylophone, Marimba, and Vibraphone by Morris Goldenberg
1. Demonstrate ability to tune a drum from a given pitch.
2. A standard work or study to demonstrate musicianship, such as from Musical Studies for the Intermediate Timpanist by Garwood Whaley, Studies in Copper by Alex Orfaly, or The Solo Timpanist by Vic Firth
This is not a required audition instrument.
If you choose to audition on drumset, the following are guidelines.
1. Grooves in Latin, Rock and Swing styles with characteristic fills.
2. Perform a brief drum solo
3. Chart reading